Continuing WiFi Issues

TR1PL3D

Continuing WiFi Issues

Post by TR1PL3D »

Hello,

I am experiencing wireless issues with my new 7800DXL.

I was having issues with wireless on my other Billion router, a 7800N running latest firmware. This is the reason I swapped it out for a 7800DXL.

But the wireless issues are apparent in both devices!

I will try and explain whats happening here.

iOS devices from iPad1 to iPhone 6 are always having issues with the wifi becoming unavailable or unresponsive, SSID not visible etc. My late 2013 MacBook Pro also suffers from wifi becoming unresponsive also.

When I say unresponsive I mean I am unable to browse the internet, or access the routers interface even though the device reports it is connected to the SSID that the 7800DXL is broadcasting.

This occurs on both 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

My network is fairly basic with the following devices.

3 x iPhone (w)
3 x iPad (w)
1 x MacBook Pro (w)
1 x NAS (e)
3 x SONOS ZonePlayers (w)
1 x Vodafone SureSignal (e)
2 x PS3 (w)
1 x XBOX 360 (w)
1 x Billion 2073N WiFi Extender (via power line)

(w) = Connected via WiFi
(e) = Connected via Ethernet

All Ethernet devices are connected directly to the router, no switches or hubs are present in my network.

I have tried obvious things such as disconnecting all Ethernet devices, trying devices one at a time on the network. Changed the wireless channels on both 2.4 and 5GHz.

I have run out of ideas and have become frustrated with the whole situation.

I love my Billion router as I live in the sticks and miles from the exchange but still get very good and stable ADSL connection. The sole reason for using a Billion for me. If I can resolve these wireless issues I would be a happy man!

billion_fan

Re: Continuing WiFi Issues

Post by billion_fan »

What firmware version are you on?? (listed as the software version on the status page)

Have you tried to change the 'Bandwidth' over '20mhz' that should help :D (found under Wireless 2.4ghz/5ghz >> Advanced)
BryceM61

Post by BryceM61 »

I am also having very similar issues. However I only have issues on 5Ghz. The 2.4 Ghz is much better. I also have mostly Apple products but the two Windows laptops also see the issue. I have run an app called iStumbler on my Macbook Pro, which checks the detected radio signals, and it is see the signal from the 5GHz dropping repeatedly - the 2.4 Ghz signal is stronger and more stable.

My software version is 2.32d.dh2 and this is a relatively new unit. I am also in a rural area with virtually no other networks in range.

Please could anyone advise things to change or possible reasons ?

Thanks
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

BryceM61 wrote:I am also having very similar issues. However I only have issues on 5Ghz. The 2.4 Ghz is much better. I also have mostly Apple products but the two Windows laptops also see the issue. I have run an app called iStumbler on my Macbook Pro, which checks the detected radio signals, and it is see the signal from the 5GHz dropping repeatedly - the 2.4 Ghz signal is stronger and more stable.

My software version is 2.32d.dh2 and this is a relatively new unit. I am also in a rural area with virtually no other networks in range.

Please could anyone advise things to change or possible reasons ?

Thanks
How far are you away from the router as 5GHz only has about half the WiFi range of 2.4GHz and it doesn't like brick walls.

Repositioning the router may also be beneficial because of the 5GHz scatter properties where the signal can bounce off walls and become out of sync with what the router is broadcasting and cause an overlap.

The tech bits in this article explain things http://www.4gon.co.uk/solutions/introdu ... o_5ghz.php

inSSIDer is a program which also gives the same info as iStumbler and can be used on Windows, Macs and Androids.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html
OliverSparks

Post by OliverSparks »

Hi, this model is already a little outdated, can you recommend something new?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

OliverSparks wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:31 am Hi, this model is already a little outdated, can you recommend something new?
Latest models are Bipac 8900AX-1600R2 and Bipac 8900AX-2400