Bridging Billion 7800DXL PPPOA to SKY Q

gmcarter

Bridging Billion 7800DXL PPPOA to SKY Q

Post by gmcarter »

I have a friend who lives in a rural location who has Sky Q and has bought a Billion 7800DXL (fw 2.32e) to make use of the SNR functionality as his internet speed is dismal. His current set up is:

Phone line & Sky router in front room, TV with Sky Q Hub in back room, many access points dotted about elsewhere. The router is connected to the Sky Q Hub via wifi as the sole Ethernet port on the back of the Sky Q Hub is in use as a hard wired connection to first of the many wifi APs.

I have extracted the credentials off the Sky router and successfully connected the 7800DXL via PPPOA using these credentials and its works fine.

I want to retain the Sky router as its connected to the Q hub and doing its meshing thing quite nicely. This also retains as much as the Sky kit as possible, so if he needs to call them out for anything all he needs to do is switch the Sky router back to Auto mode, plug his phone line into it and he’s back to the standard ‘supported’ config.

Iv’e set the sky router to ‘WANOE only’ and now need the 7800DXL to act purely as a modem. Since bridging mode is only available for pppoe connections what is the setup on the 7800DXL to do this?
billion_fan

Re: Bridging Billion 7800DXL PPPOA to SKY Q

Post by billion_fan »

gmcarter wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:05 pm I have a friend who lives in a rural location who has Sky Q and has bought a Billion 7800DXL (fw 2.32e) to make use of the SNR functionality as his internet speed is dismal. His current set up is:

Phone line & Sky router in front room, TV with Sky Q Hub in back room, many access points dotted about elsewhere. The router is connected to the Sky Q Hub via wifi as the sole Ethernet port on the back of the Sky Q Hub is in use as a hard wired connection to first of the many wifi APs.

I have extracted the credentials off the Sky router and successfully connected the 7800DXL via PPPOA using these credentials and its works fine.

I want to retain the Sky router as its connected to the Q hub and doing its meshing thing quite nicely. This also retains as much as the Sky kit as possible, so if he needs to call them out for anything all he needs to do is switch the Sky router back to Auto mode, plug his phone line into it and he’s back to the standard ‘supported’ config.

Iv’e set the sky router to ‘WANOE only’ and now need the 7800DXL to act purely as a modem. Since bridging mode is only available for pppoe connections what is the setup on the 7800DXL to do this?
You can setup the 7800DXL ATM interface to 'Bridging' mode, but your Sky Q Hub will have to support 'PPPoE' for the EWAN port. (so it can authenticate)

If Sky don't support PPPoE then you can't use Bridging mode
gmcarter

Re: Bridging Billion 7800DXL PPPOA to SKY Q

Post by gmcarter »

Many thanks, if the Sky router does not support pppoe then I'll just have to lose it and use the 7800DXL for the lot.