Billion 7800VDPX wireless problems

danielbackward

Billion 7800VDPX wireless problems

Post by danielbackward »

Hello eveyone. I am new to forum. Ever since changing from a 100% reliable 7800N to a 7800VDPX I have had wireless problems.

It will not stay on 40MHz bandwith and on every single channel (1-13) the router reports as the interference being "severe" (so it drops it to 20MHz). Nothing I do makes it stay on 40MHz. As a result, I get poor wireless performance (eg, throughput is poor).

I have done a factory reset and upgraded the firmware to no avail.
By the way, this is only for the 2.4GHz. 5GHz is disabled.
I live in surburbia, only a few wireless networks around me (but with weak signal from within my house).
I have previously been able to select various wireless channels with my 7800N with 40MHz and never had a problem.

Efforts to contact Billion and ask them why they can't implement a feature to "force" whatever setting that is selected to stay put have resulted in no response. The Billion 7800N when selected would stay put and work 100%. This 7800VDPX so far is pretty disappointing and very frustrating!

Does anybody have any ideas please? I am unsure whether it is a bug in the firmware (or at least, a lack of a "manual control" option) or a fault with my unit...
Last edited by danielbackward on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billion_fan

Re: Billion 7800VDPX wireless problems

Post by billion_fan »

danielbackward wrote:Hello eveyone. I am new to forum. Ever since changing from a 100% reliable 7800N to a 7800VDPX I have had wireless problems.

It will not stay on 40MHz bandwith and on every single channel (1-13) the router reports as the interference being "severe" (so it drops it to 20MHz). Nothing I do makes it stay on 40MHz. As a result, I get poor wireless performance (eg, throughput is poor).

I have done a factory reset and upgraded the firmware to no avail.
By the way, this is only for the 2.4GHz. 5GHz is disabled.
I live in surburbia, only a few wireless networks around me (but with weak signal from within my house).
I have previously been able to select various wireless channels with my 7800N with 40MHz and never had a problem.

Efforts to contact Billion and ask them why they can't implement a feature to "force" whatever setting that is selected to stay put have resulted in no response. The Billion 7800N when selected would stay put and work 100%. This 7800VDPX so far is pretty disappointing and very frustrating!

Does anybody have any ideas please? I am unsure whether it is a bug in the firmware (or at least, a lack of a "manual control" option) or a fault with my unit...
All I can suggest is disabling 'OBSS Coexistence' if it is enabled.
danielbackward

Post by danielbackward »

Thank you for your comment. After 3 hours of strugling in it I had solved the issues
By the way, I want to ask you another question. It's not related to the topic nor the forum but it's also about wireless. I need to buy another router for my old neighbors (they hardly use internet to buy smt online). They sent me a link to a website reviewing about wireless router. This:, perhaps it's affiliate website. and they want me to buy one of those product. But the needs of old people is different from me and my friend - people want to use wireless to play video game, watch hd film etc.. I am consdering about number 5 and number 7 on that list. So would you mind suggest for me one to choose. Thank you.
Best regard.
Last edited by danielbackward on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

danielbackward wrote:Thank you for your comment. After 3 hours of strugling in it I had solved the issues
By the way, I want to ask you another question. It's not related to the topic nor the forum but it's also about wireless. I need to buy another router for my old neighbors (they hardly use internet to buy smt online). They sent me a link to a website reviewing about wireless router. This:, perhaps it's affiliate website. and they want me to buy one of those product. But the needs of old people is different from me and my friend - people want to use wireless to play video game, watch hd film etc.. I am consdering about number 5 and number 7 on that list. So would you mind suggest for me one to choose. Thank you.
Best regard.
Suggest you ask in the manufactures forum, this is the Billion forum, for Billion users, your third party link has been removed. (as it has nothing to do with Billion routers)