Talktalk fibre and DXL

jamesjay

Talktalk fibre and DXL

Post by jamesjay »

Hi All,

Although the DXL states fibre ready...will l still need to hardwire the DXL to the Talktalk HG633 router, btw l am already on Talktalk broadband and will be going to fibre in a few days so already have the DXL setup for Talktalk non-fibre broadband and would like to keep my home network settings as they are.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
James.
billion_fan

Re: Talktalk fibre and DXL

Post by billion_fan »

jamesjay wrote:Hi All,

Although the DXL states fibre ready...will l still need to hardwire the DXL to the Talktalk HG633 router, btw l am already on Talktalk broadband and will be going to fibre in a few days so already have the DXL setup for Talktalk non-fibre broadband and would like to keep my home network settings as they are.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
James.
Yes you will need to connect your DXL to your fibre modem/router

You need to setup the WAN as a 'Ethernet >>> IPOE' connection, also make sure the DXL is on a different subnet eg HG633 router = 192.168.0.254, DXL = 192.168.1.254
jamesjay

Post by jamesjay »

Thanks Billion-fan, l have a week or so to figure out how to change the subnet on the 633 router.

l did see one of your posts from ages ago explaining in detail how to change the WAN and IPOE settings on the DXL.

Thanks again for all your help.
James.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jamesjay wrote:Thanks Billion-fan, l have a week or so to figure out how to change the subnet on the 633 router.

l did see one of your posts from ages ago explaining in detail how to change the WAN and IPOE settings on the DXL.

James.
No problem, if you can't change the 633's LAN subnet, you can always change the Billion subnet 'Configuration >> LAN' 'IP Address' found in the middle of the page, once done, restart all clients that are connected to the DXL
jamesjay

Post by jamesjay »

billion_fan wrote:
jamesjay wrote:Thanks Billion-fan, l have a week or so to figure out how to change the subnet on the 633 router.

James.
No problem, if you can't change the 633's LAN subnet, you can always change the Billion subnet 'Configuration >> LAN' 'IP Address' found in the middle of the page, once done, restart all clients that are connected to the DXL
I was able to change the 633 subnet to 192.168.2.254 and have deactivated the Wi-Fi on it and I am not using any of the ethernet ports apart from the one attached to the EWAN port on the DXL and all seems stable so far...hopefully it will stay the same after I have fibre connected.

Kind regards,
James.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jamesjay wrote:
billion_fan wrote:

James.
I was able to change the 633 subnet to 192.168.2.254 and have deactivated the Wi-Fi on it and I am not using any of the ethernet ports apart from the one attached to the EWAN port on the DXL and all seems stable so far...hopefully it will stay the same after I have fibre connected.

Kind regards,
James.
Hopefully the 633 is already configured for a fibre/VDSL connection, it is it should work once activated, (you shouldn't have to configure the 7800DXL anymore)
jamesjay

Post by jamesjay »

billion_fan wrote:
jamesjay wrote:
billion_fan wrote:

Kind regards,
James.
Hopefully the 633 is already configured for a fibre/VDSL connection, it is it should work once activated, (you shouldn't have to configure the 7800DXL anymore)
All went well with the 633 and DXL after fibre/VDSL was connected without the need for further adjustments, but I have now bought a 8800NL R2 to use as a modem instead of the 633 and was wondering if I can just change the subnet address as I did on the 633 so not disturbing or changing my settings on the DXL, if it is possible is there an idiots guide somewhere on how to change the subnet address on the 8800 or do I need to take another route?
Kind regards,
James.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jamesjay wrote:
billion_fan wrote:
jamesjay wrote:

Kind regards,
James.
All went well with the 633 and DXL after fibre/VDSL was connected without the need for further adjustments, but I have now bought a 8800NL R2 to use as a modem instead of the 633 and was wondering if I can just change the subnet address as I did on the 633 so not disturbing or changing my settings on the DXL, if it is possible is there an idiots guide somewhere on how to change the subnet address on the 8800 or do I need to take another route?
Kind regards,
James.
The best setup for you will be changing the 8800NL R2 to modem mode (we call this option Bridging Mode)

You can do this once logged into the 8800NL under 'Configuration >> WAN' then edit the default 'PTM >> PPPoE' interface, change the Type to 'Bridging', make sure the '802.1P Priority' is set to 0 and the ' 802.1Q VLAN ID ' is set to 101 and apply (screen shot example attached)

Then on the 7800DXL the WAN setup method for talktalk fibre is ETH >>> IPOE connection

Use the EWAN port on the 8800NL R2 to make the connection between both devices (as this is the gigalan port)

With this setup your won't be running double NAT anymore, so the 8800NL R2 will be the modem only, and 7800DXL will be the router. (the 7800DXL will obtain your public IP address)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesjay

Post by jamesjay »

billion_fan wrote:The best setup for you will be changing the 8800NL R2 to modem mode (we call this option Bridging Mode)

You can do this once logged into the 8800NL under 'Configuration >> WAN' then edit the default 'PTM >> PPPoE' interface, change the Type to 'Bridging', make sure the '802.1P Priority' is set to 0 and the ' 802.1Q VLAN ID ' is set to 101 and apply (screen shot example attached)

Then on the 7800DXL change/edit the ETH >>> IPOE connection to 'ETH >> PPPoE' and enter your broadband credentials to authenticate, and apply.

Use the EWAN port on the 8800NL R2 to make the connection between both devices (as this is the gigalan port)

With this setup your won't be running double NAT anymore, so the 8800NL R2 will be the modem only, and 7800DXL will be the router. (the 7800DXL will obtain your public IP address)
Thanks for your help and advice Billion_fan,

I did exactly as you instructed and all went well except that I couldn't enter my broadband details in the 7800DXL although the space was there to add my username and password I could not put them in so left them blank and hit apply and it seems to have worked without them.

BTW I changed the subnet on the 8800NL to 192.168.2.254 so it was different than the 7800DLX, and also only changed the configuration on the WAN page on the DLX so I could retain all my settings that were working fine...I do have a green light on the DLX that is connected to the 8800 NL gigalan port so I presuming I didn't need to use my broadband credentials, but please correct me if I have done something wrong and need to re-configure the DLX as if it is a new setup.

Thanks again,
James.
jamesjay

Post by jamesjay »

@ Million_Fan,

I noticed that on the 7800DXL that I wasn't using PPPoE but IPoE and have tried to implement your settings a number of times over the weekend, your instructions worked fine on the 8800NL but when I try the PPPoE settings on the 7800 the green internet led on the router goes out and I cannot access the internet until I change it back to IPoE.

I have the latest firmware on both and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong although my internet connection and both units appears to be stable.

Kind regards,
James.