WAN IP Addtress

m-a-r-k

WAN IP Addtress

Post by m-a-r-k »

I'm setting up an OpenReach modem for FTTC which will go live on Thursday.
I've unlocked it and installed GUI firmware.
I want to access the OpenReach modem from my LAN via one cable (the one plugged into EWAN) not two as some do.
I have instructions from various sources including https://support.aa.net.uk/Router_-_EchoLife_HG612.

The one bit I'm unsure of is:
"In your router, configure the WAN interface with a private (RFC1918) address in a different subnet to your main LAN. e.g. if your main LAN is 192.168.1.1/24 then configure the WAN interface with the address 192.168.2.1/24"

Where in my 7800DXL router do I configure the WAN interface with a private (RFC1918) address such as 192.168.2.1?
Is it the Configuration/WAN/ATM interface page where I can enter a static IPv4 address?
billion_fan

Re: WAN IP Addtress

Post by billion_fan »

Try following the attached screen shot, then you double check the port binding rules, and add the static route within the openreach modem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m-a-r-k

Post by m-a-r-k »

That's great , thanks.
But I notice that is IP over Ethernet, so I'd have to use the OpenReach modem to log in with Username and Password?
It wouldn't be in Bridge mode then, would it?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

m-a-r-k wrote:That's great , thanks.
But I notice that is IP over Ethernet, so I'd have to use the OpenReach modem to log in with Username and Password?
It wouldn't be in Bridge mode then, would it?
That's what I am thinking as they state

"In your router, configure the WAN interface with a private (RFC1918) address in a different subnet to your main LAN. e.g. if your main LAN is 192.168.1.0/24 then configure the WAN interface with the address 192.168.2.1/24"

You can only do this with a IPOE connection, if you try to do this with PPPoE connection it will not work (as the IP address will be invalid)

What I am thinking is you have 2 WAN interfaces, 1 x EWAN >>> PPPOE (for the internet connection) the second EWAN >>> IPOE for web gui access, you will have to play around and see how it goes.

(I have limited information on the open reach unlocked modem, so I can't help with that part)
m-a-r-k

Post by m-a-r-k »

Oh, I see, you can have two WAN interfaces - have my PPPoE for the connection then add another IPoE for the modem. Yes, I'll play with that and see if it works. I'll get a LAN port back then :-)
At the moment I'm using 2 ethernet cables: Router EWAN<>Modem LAN1 and Router LAN<>Modem LAN2 which works when modem in same subnet as my LAN.