Router Admin password change

wifiuk

Router Admin password change

Post by wifiuk »

Hi

Every time I change the login password for the router from admin:admin to something more secure, it locks me out.

I have 250% typed the new correct password in. I have even set the basic and advanced login passwords also and it wont let me login with these.

However if i restore back to factory then restore .conf with the default admin admin it works.

Any ideas?
billion_fan

Re: Router Admin password change

Post by billion_fan »

Try a different web browser, I know firefox automatically enters some passwords.

Follow these steps using IE9

1. Click on 'Advanced'
2. ClickConfigurationation'
3. Click on 'System'
4. Click on 'User Management'
5. Enter your 'Password (Old)'
6. Enter your 'Password (New)'
7. Enter 'Password (Confirm)'
8. Then click on 'Apply'
9. You should then be prompted for your new password just like you was logging into the unit (if not try and browse to the status page and then you will be prompted for the password)

Finally save your config to flash memory
wifiuk

Post by wifiuk »

i am using chrome, and i have done the following exactly, click on Apply and then it prompts:

but it just wont accept any new passwords ( internet still ok ) just locked out of the router config.

Reset - all ok again.

You know in the .conf backup file, can i add the required password in there and then restore with the password in? i'm at work at the moment so will look when i get back but just wondered

for the netgear routers the .cfg were in plain text and could be manipulated in that way ... just a temp workaround idea?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wifiuk wrote:i am using chrome, and i have done the following exactly, click on Apply and then it prompts:

but it just wont accept any new passwords ( internet still ok ) just locked out of the router config.

Reset - all ok again.

You know in the .conf backup file, can i add the required password in there and then restore with the password in? i'm at work at the moment so will look when i get back but just wondered

for the netgear routers the .cfg were in plain text and could be manipulated in that way ... just a temp workaround idea?
If I rememeber correclty, the password saved in the config file is encrypted for security reasons, so you can't change the password via the config file (other things you can)

Try using IE 9, you shouldn't have any problems
wifiuk

Post by wifiuk »

cheers billion_fan i'll give it a go later tonight
wifiuk

Post by wifiuk »

worked fine in IE...

silly chrome issue there then, i updated the firmware before i changed maybe that solved it?