7800N Wireless MAC filter limit

Got a suggestion or want to add something to our future wishlist?
petedilloway

7800N Wireless MAC filter limit

Post by petedilloway »

With the armada of wireless gadgets now availailable to the teenage population, a limit of 16 devices in the MAC filter simply isn't enough.

The Linksys router I replaced had at least 20 or 24.

In an average household with internet TV's, laptops, Ipods, mobiles and games machines, not to mention friends, 16 is way too few.

PLEASE, PLEASE up the limit

Regards

Pete
petedilloway

Re: 7800N Wireless MAC filter limit

Post by petedilloway »

Further my post above, I just realised that my last router had a space for text to identify what the MAC code was for. That is REALLY useful.

I found this morning that I'd removed my laptop from the list by mistake and replaced it with a small boy's Ipod Touch!!!

Pete
Deputy Dog

Post by Deputy Dog »

I have only found this out recently after reading a reviewer on Amazon who was very disappointed with the limit of 16 for MAC filtering. Does anyone know if Billion intend on upping this limit in a future firmware upgrade. Especially as this router is often referred to in reviews and advertising as a business router!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Billion do not plan on increasing the MAC Filtering limit, as this is a memory limitation
schander

Post by schander »

billion_fan wrote:Billion do not plan on increasing the MAC Filtering limit, as this is a memory limitation
If that's the case then I may have to sell my beloved 7800n :( really disappointed at that.
Along not being able change the vpn port I think will seal it.

Just waiting for FTTP to become available (Q3) then the billion will be sold.

Satpal
DrWilkinson

Post by DrWilkinson »

I have to agree with the previous poster. Just saying this is a 'memory limit' issue and it won't be fixed isn't really acceptable. It is a flaw in an otherwise great product. Since having the Billion 7800N I have advised 3 others to buy it, but now I have hit the 16 MAC filter limit. Why would you ever put something like this in place when even cheap Netgear routers do not impose a limit. I too am going to have to look at swapping my 7800N for another router that doesn't have this flaw and will be very sad to see my Billion go, but this is a real limitation to use for me and obviously other users.

One possible way to solve the problem would be to have support for 2 SSID's with one that was not MAC filtered for guests and friends that only provides internet (not network) access. A lot of routers now provide this facility and it would help avoid the need to store so many MAC addresses.. This would work for me, anyone else ?
iant1945

Post by iant1945 »

I agree. I have 20+ MAC addresses (various equipment and home-plugs). The limit should be 32 or even 64. And labels are essential. Billion please listen to your users !