Is the 8200 REALLY compatible with BT FTTC lines?

Discussions for BiPAC 8200 series VDSL modem /router: 8200AXL, 8206AZ, 8200M, 8200N
cyberpieman

Is the 8200 REALLY compatible with BT FTTC lines?

Post by cyberpieman »

I've set up a brand new 8200N to connect to a line newly enabled for BT Infinity.

Initially the speeds have been between 20 & 30Mbps as expected then suddenly it drops to 2Mbps.

This was also a problem with my 7800 & I bought the 8200 to get rid of the BT Openreach MODEM that was acting more as self heating firebrick.

BT (via Plusnet) are insisting this an internal fault (ie the router(s)).

I thought initially that it was the intrusion detection on the 7800 that was causing it, and turning it off appeared to rectify the problem, but the 8200 arrived before a definitive test carried out. I'll reinstate the 7800 this evening & see what happens.

In the meantime, has anyone actually set up an 8200N on a BT FTTC line and had it working correctly?

(Raising a ticket with support too)
Thanks
C
admin
Site Admin

Re: Is the 8200 REALLY compatible with BT FTTC lines?

Post by admin »

I have tested 8200N with my FTTC line via ADSL24 without any problems. If you have multiple WAN IPs then yes you need to have NAT disable plus an updated firmware in order for it to work.
Davepaw

Re: Is the 8200 REALLY compatible with BT FTTC lines?

Post by Davepaw »

I've just installed the 8200 N router/modem to Talk Talk 40 Mbyte max broadband fibre supply. Talk Talk uses BT FTTC and then telephone for the last couple of hundred metres just as BT Infinity does. After a few setup issues and reading through various forums I've got the router working and at the moment it is giving around 30 Mbyte via wireless to my notebook and max possible when connected direct via ethernet from computer to router. The signal strength around the house seems to be good, even when passing through three brick walls. Spent a few hours of messing around to get there though as I consistently got a WAN Fail message when following the Billion set up instructions

Early days yet but so far so good.

Had to swap the WAN port protocol from "PPPoE" to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" before I managed to get it to connect though and then get the correct sequence of settings saved during the configuration.