Bipac 3100SN SSID confusion

Discussion for models not listed
T0ffer

Bipac 3100SN SSID confusion

Post by T0ffer »

Hi,
I have a Bipac 7800N and I have been trying to both extend the wireless range and provide a connection to a Sky box (i.e. to provide an Ethernet connection for Sky on demand), for which purpose I have used a Bipac 3100SN.
Initially I used WDS mode and set the 3100SN to Bridge mode. This got the sky box working but did not provide an extended wireless signal. I switched the 3100SN to Repeater mode and this allowed the Sky box to function and provided via the 3100SN’s SSID a wireless access point. So the problem seemed to be solved except that if moving out of range of the 7800N then I had to switch to the 3100SN’s SSID. Not quite the smooth transition I wanted.
My next step was to change the SSID of the 3100SN to the same as the 7800N. It seemed to work but every now and again a client (e.g. iPad) would lose the signal, requiring a reconnect.
The last step was to abandon WDS and switch everything over to AP Client mode, i.e. WDS is disabled on both the 7800N and 3100SN and instead the AP Client service is enabled on the 3100SN and the SSID of the 7800N selected. I also set the 3100SN to the same SSID as the 7800N.
At the moment it seems to be working. The manual is not specific regarding how to set the SSID of the 3100SN so my question is does setting it to be the same as the 7800N cause any issues or is this the best way of extending the wireless network?

Thanks

T0ffer
billion_fan

Re: Bipac 3100SN SSID confusion

Post by billion_fan »

When using AP-Client mode you should not have any issues.

Once you set the SSID to same name and setup AP Client mode, the 3100SN will automatically use the same channel as your router, I think your setup should now be fine. Almost forgot please make sure the wireless security settings are the same and (security type and security password) your ipad should then automatically reconnect to the 3100SN signal once the 7800N is out of range (it will have to be out of range as a client like the ipad likes to hold on to a signal even when there is 1 bar)

(I use the Bipac 2073N which is the same as the 3100SN without the homeplug function, I don't use the homeplug function, I use AP-Client to extend the wireless in my garden and this setup has been working for around 6-7 months without any issues)
T0ffer

Re: Bipac 3100SN SSID confusion

Post by T0ffer »

Thanks.

As you suggest, it is now working fine. Might be helpful if this was somewhat clearer in the manual! But where would be the challenge in that :)